Yes, these are late. Sue me.
Work is piling up right now so this got ignored.
Comments from Week 7 Games
#8 Cincinnati 34 @ #21 South Florida 17
- Did Cincy prove it was BCS worthy with this win on the road against a "decent" conference foe? A couple more weeks and we should have our definitive answer.
- Will the Bearcats be alright without starting QB Tony Pike who suffered a left arm injury in the game and was replaced by Zach Collaros??
#11 Iowa 20 @ Wisconsin 10
- Iowa just continues to make a mockery of Big 10 contenders this year. Will their joy ride end with a visit to Sparty next weekend?
- The defense is what is carrying the Hawkeyes. Another stellar performance against suspect competition propelled them to a 6 – 0 start.
Arkansas 20 @ #1 Florida 23
- Conspiracy theories abound after this on in The Swamp. Is the SEC protecting it's elite teams for a bigger BCS payout? Or did two missed field goals and other numerous misses doom the upset-minded Hogs?
- A non-typical public repromand of the officiating crew and subsequent suspension did nothing to quell the media firestorm over numerous blown calls … all in the Gators favor.
#6 USC 34 @ #25 Notre Dame 27
- So, THIS was the ND team that had the confidence to beat USC, right? So how do you explain four missed opportunities from inside the 5 to tie the game in the final seconds?? Pear Bryant's play-calling.
- ND made it a game, but is this really saying much considering how down this USC team is this year? ND still has a long, long way to go to get back to BCS worthiness.
Texas Tech 31 @ #15 Nebraska 10
- All I can say is WOW. And we thought Nebraska was the cream of the crop in the Little XII North. Actually they still may be. But they got throttled by the 4th seed in the Little XII South. At home.
- Can Nebraska rebound and make a run to get to the Little XII Championship game and be the sacrificial lamb for Texas??
#4 Virginia Tech 23 @ #19 Georgia Tech 28
- So, is the Wreck THIS good, or was Ginny Tech just THAT over-rated?? Is the ENTIRE ACC over-rated as a whole? Have they fallen below the Big East now??
- Georgia Tech has an ACC Championship squarely in its sights now and can run the table to get the automatic BCS bid.
#20 Oklahoma 13 @ #3 Texas 16
- Honestly, I am not sure what was more painful to watch, this horrendous game in the Red River Shootout or the larceny in The Swamp just hours later. Man, it was painful.
- Texass wins with only 269 yards of total offense. OU commits 5 turnovers, Shorthorns cough it up 3 times. Bradford falls on his shoulder and is out again. Geez. Just bad, bad, bad, bad football all around here.
Missouri 17 @ #16 Oklahoma State 33
- Geez, even w/out Dez Bryant, the Cowboys still put a big time hurting on the Tigers from Missoura. The Tigers didn't score in the last 36 minutes of the game.
- Hard to win when you give up 4 TO on the road in conference. Gabbert had 3 picks by himself. Man, is the Little XII North just bad, bad, bad football or what??
Georgia 34 @ Vandy 10
- Georgia got the much needed conference win. The defense played much better and the offense executed quite well as a whole. Too bad it was against Vandy. Does that really count???
- This was a much needed win heading into the Open week as they prepare for Florida in the Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in the world. Just don't tell CBS that is what this game really is called.
#22 South Carolina 6 @ #2 Alabama 20
- What was billed as a defensive struggle turned out to be just that. If it weren't for Mark Ingram, the Tide would have been lost … in a BIG BIG way. 246 rushing yards out of 356 total yards of offense to Ingram. WOW!
- But hey, Cocky is used to giving up HUGE games to RB. Just ask Darren McFadden in 2007 when he went for almost 3 bills on the Gamecocks. Good thing they held McElroy in check, eh?
Brick of the Week (BOTW)
I know that he is a Fighting Irish homer (no, I am not talking about Beano Cook) but still. At some point you have to figure that the Irish are NOT going to beat Pete Carroll and the Trojans, right? Well, you will have a very tough time convincing our BOTW winner of that anytime soon. But I am sure he would love to hear your arguments. 🙂 The BOTW goes to Mr. Jonathan "It's all about the tradition" Butcher for his pick of ND over USC. Yes bud, you were the ONLY one out of 22 to pick them.
Pick of the Week (POTW)
This was almost as easy to give out as the BOTW award. Of the 22 entries, we only had two who correctly picked this game. Granted one of those is a graduate of the university who won and he would have been publicly flogged had he NOT picked them to win this game. The other correct entry, well let's just say he has a flair for the dramatic and pulls off a couple of these at least once or twice during the season. The POTW goes to Mr. Jason "Philly Cheesesteaks all around … on ME" Shirey and Mr. Travis "It isn't really a wreck unless it is a Wrambling Wreck!" Stout. Congratulations guys.
Champion of the Week (COTW)
Well, somehow in a week of some surprising upsets and near misses, we had an individual pick 9 out of the 10 games correctly. Honestly, that is pretty amazing if you ask me. Therefore, our COTW for Week 7 is none other than Mr. Jason "Living it up in St Thomas" Wesson. Congratulations my friend!
Week 7 Standings
9 – 1
8 – 2
7 – 3
6 – 4
5 – 5
Overall Standings Through 7 Weeks
52 – 18
51 – 19
50 – 20
49 – 21
48 – 22
47 – 23
46 – 24
45 – 25
44 – 26
44 – 16
40 – 20
39 – 21
32 – 28