Top Ten Things Heard/Read/Seen From Week 10 in College Football
- Virginia doing it again. Their third one point win in their last 4 games. The other game? Yeah, they blew them out and won it by 3. Talk about Cardiac Cavaliers. Wow!
- You really don't want to be #2 in the BCS Rankings. Ever. Another #2 lost again over the weekend as Florida State ended Boston College's perfect season and probably Matt Ryan's Heisman chances with an upset.
- Les Miles is still living the charmed life. With the game tied at 34 all, Chad Jones sacked John Parker Wilson for a loss and he fumbled at the Tide 4. Hester ran it in 2 plays later to give LSU another thrilling victory.
- Oh my! Kansas scores a record 76 points on the Cornhuskers defense in a 76 – 39 rout in Lawrence. Just let that set in for a moment. 76 points. Never had that happened before. And it could very well have been 90 if they wanted.
- Chase Daniel's performance against Colorado. 26 – 44 for 422 yards, 5 TD and 1 INT. Those are pretty amazing numbers and probably put Daniel on some people's Heisman radars.
- 24 – 0. That was the 4th quarter score as Texas erased a 21 point 4th quarter deficit and defeated Oklahoma State in Stillwater on a last second field goal. Again. Don't worry though. Mike Gundy is a man. He can take it. Right??
- Remember when South Florida was #2 in the BCS poll and squarely in the BCS Championship race? Well, not anymore After back-to-back losses the Bulls won't even be in the Top 25 this week. Free falling comes to mind.
- Dennis Dixon continued to maintain his Heisman Trophy push. He was injured but still managed to throw 4 TD passes as the Ducks quacked their way past the Devils of Arizona State.
- 43 years. That is how long it had been since Navy defeated Notre Dame. That is until last Saturday. Navy finally ended the "Streak". Man, how pitiful is Notre Dame this year? They had never lost 5 games in a season, let alone 5 games in a row. That offensive genius is paying HUGE dividends, right?
- Darren McFadden and Felix Jones ran Hawg Wild all over South Carolina. McFadden tied an SEC single game record for rushing when he ran 321 yards all by himself. Felix Jones added 166 yards himself. The total of 487 yards is an NCAA record for rushing by 2 RB on the same team. I was at this game and it was simply amazing.
Brick of the Week
These awards are getting to be easier and easier to pick most weeks. This deep into the contest people are having to try and pick upsets. When they successfully do pick an upset they wind up as the POTW, but when they don't get that pick correct, well, they end up here. Therefore, the BOTW this week goes to an individual who was so close to a major upset they could almost taste it. However, we all know that Les Miles is living on borrowed time and LSU once again won in the closing minutes of a game. Therefore, Mrs. Jessica "Should have done the Mascot Pick Strategy" Leija gets the BOTW. Sorry Jess.
Pick of the Week
This week the POTW goes to a game that most would never consider it being a POTW game. Whenever Texas plays Oklahoma State, the result would typically be an easy Texas win. However, that has not been the case the past couple of years with Texas having to have MAJOR comebacks to win even when the game is in Austin. This week was no different than the past couple of years. Leading by 21 points in the 4th quarter, the Cowboys couldn't hold on once again and the Shorthorns came back for a miraculous win. However, not many people gave the Shorthorns a chance. Only 4 people picked the hated Longhorns. Those 4 are therefore the POTW for week 10. Those include Mr. Brian "Could this be the week?" Mashburn, Mr. Steven "At least we can still beat Baylor" Leija, Mr. Jonathan "Please don't put another ND game in the pickem" Butcher, and Mrs. April "Getting the hang of these picks" Mashburn. Congratulations folks.
Champion of the Week
Ok, so it only took 10 weeks, but it finally happened someone was able to go 10 – 0. In a week when most people picked 8 games or more correctly, we had us a perfect week. 10 – 0 is even more impressive in this the most unpredictable of football seasons. Teams that should win, don't. Teams that you don't know anything about do win. It is just not the typical college football season. USC is barely in the Top 25 for crying out loud and Nebraska just gave up 76 points in a single game!! Oh and Kansas is 9 – 0. However, 10 – 0 was accomplished. The COTW this week is none other than Mr. Brian "I honestly don't know who to thank for this, so I will just savor the moment" Mashburn. Congratulations bud!
Scores of the Week
Ohio State 31
Wake Forest 16
Texas Tech 38
Michigan State 24
Oklahoma State 35
South Carolina 36
Arizona State 21
10 – 0
9 – 1
8 – 2
7 – 3
74 – 26
70 – 30
69 – 31
67 – 33
66 – 34
63 – 27
61 – 39
60 – 30
59 – 31
37 – 23
29 – 21