Here are the results:
Top 10 Things I Saw/Heard/Read Over the Weekend in College Football
- Darren McFadden's Heisman hopes came crashing down to nothing with Arkansas' 9 – 7 loss to Auburn and his mere 42 yards and no touchdowns. It will take a miracle at this point.
- Joe Pa showed the youngun how to coach this weekend in Happy Valley as Penn State romped all over Wisconsin to the tune of 38 – 7.
- Texas Tech took another step toward respectability with their dominance of the Aggies in Lubbock. Dennis Franchione is in some serious hot water in College Station as he has a tough row left to hoe with Texas and ZeroU still on the schedule.
- Illinois laid an egg on the road in Iowa this weekend. The weather was down right detestable, but Illinois was by far the better team.
- Missouri had too many mistakes in Norman and it led to too many points as the Sooners handed the Tigers their first loss of the year.
- Butch Davis almost pulled another upset against the Ol Ball coach in Chapel Hill but in the end, South Carolina was just too much and the Tar Heels will have to wait until next year.
- Nicky Satan got another bogus call on the road in the SEC in Oxford to move to 3 – 1 in the conference. It will never cease to amaze me to what extent the SEC will go to make sure Bama is a winner.
- Kansas continues to roll along this year. They ripped Baylor to the tune of 58 – 10 and moved to 6 – 0 on the year. Pretty impressive.
- Andre Woodson and the Kentucky Wildcats got up off the mat after the sucker punch from South Carolina and delivered a crushing blow to the LSU Tigers BCS Title hopes. Can they pull off another this weekend and give Urban Myer and Florida loss #3 in the SEC??
Brick of the Week
There were some close games this weekend and for the most part the favored team won the game (except for that LSU/Kentucky thing of course). But there were some who decided to try and make up ground this week and pick some upsets. It is a good idea, however, when picking those games you have to choose wisely. One didn't choose so wisely this past weekend. Therefore with his pick of Mississippi State over Tennessee, the BOTW goes to Mr. Brian "I thought it was Tennessee-Chattanooga" Mashburn. Sorry bud.
Pick of the Week
Once again, we had those making some great choices this week, as the average number correct was 6 out of 10. However, there were some who had the uncanny ability to pick the winners in games that were close and the underdog came out on top in the contest. In the Illinois vs Iowa game, you had the Illini undefeated in Big 10 play and the Hawkeyes as losers of their last 9 conference games. Yet these three individuals picked the Hawkeyes to upend the Illini: Mr. Lance "Well, the Raiders lost too" Williams, Mr. Jason "Still dialing up the winners" Shirey, and Mr. Jerry "Can I get SOMEONE, ANYONE to throw the ball???" Tucker. Congratulations guys!
Champion of the Week
So, at this rate, if someone doesn't step up soon, this thing is probably going to be over in the next couple of weeks. Of course there is always the RazorPicks Bowl Pick-Em to get everyone back in the hunt 😉 Anyways, this week, there were once again, some very good picks turned in. There were actually 5 contestants who correctly picked 8 out of 10 this week. And when we moved to the tiebreaker it was decided by only 2 measly points. Amazing. However, for I believe the third time this year, with a tie-break score of 8, the COTW goes to Mr. Jason "Someone pinch me I must be dreaming" Shirey. Congratulations bud!
Actual Game Scores
#25 Tennessee 33 @ Mississippi State 21
Alabama 27 @ Mississippi 24
#1 LSU 37 @ #17 Kentucky 43 3OT
#4 Boston College 27 @ Notre Dame 14
#7 South Carolina 21 @ North Carolina 15
#19 Wisconsin 7 @ Penn State 38
Texas A&M 7 @ Texas Tech 35
#22 Auburn 9 @ Arkansas 7
#18 Illinois 6 @ Iowa 10
#11 Missouri 31 @ #6 Oklahoma 41
8 – 2
Jason Shirey (8)
Jerry Tucker (10)
Alex Rowland (11)
Steven Leija (20)
Lance Williams (24)
7 – 3
6 – 4
5 – 5
4 – 6
52 – 18
51 – 19
49 – 21
48 – 22
47 – 23
46 – 24
44 – 26
42 – 28
40 – 20
33 – 17
29 – 21
8 – 2
7 – 3